Shortly after the resurrection and before the ascension, Jesus comes to his disciples and speaks the words that serve as the foundation of mission: “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you” (John 20:21). In Jesus, the Triune God has turned outward towards creation, and come to “seek and save the lost” (Luke 19:10). Jesus is the ‘sent-one’ of the Father; he is, we might say, ‘God-on-mission’. What will happen, however, when Jesus returns to the Father? Is the mission of God over? Not at all! Immediately following Jesus’ words in John, he breathes on his disciples, and pours out the Holy Spirit upon them. The Triune God remains turned outwards towards his creation in mission, now not localized in the earthly and bodily presence of Jesus, but dispersed in the Holy Spirit empowered church.
This is the secret and source of all mission—that God is a missional God. As Chris Wright has put it,
"It is not so much the case that God has a mission for his church in the world but that God has a church for his mission in the world” (The Mission of God, 62).
At Fleetwood, we care about truth and beauty, about justice and peacemaking, and about redemption and deliverance (cosmic and personal) not because we think these are nice ideas in and of themselves, but because they flow from the very heart of God. In Christ and by the Spirit, the Triune God of grace is on mission to set to rights his broken and sinful creation. As Jesus tells his disciples, this mission is extended in the world in and through those whom Jesus has called … and sent. The God of mission has a church!
- Chaplaincy at Kwantlen Polytechnic University and UBC Okanagan
- Service Sunday - On the first Sunday in June we worship through service in our neighbourhood
- Surrey Food Bank
- Christianity/Discipleship Explored
- Summer Outreach - Vacation Bible School, day camps, sports
- Partnership with Stepping Stones, Muffin Morning program.
- Offerings - our offering schedule supports many excellent local ministries
- Mexico Outreach Team
- Western Africa - Sheila Dykstra
- World Hunger - Canadian Foodgrains Bank, Gleaners
- Relief and Development - World Renew
- Offerings- our offering schedule supports many excellent global ministries
SERVICELINK offers a number of volunteer opportunities with the CRC. Click here to check out the variety of ways to serve across the globe.