Lent 2021: A Table in the Wilderness
Lent (from the Latin “lente” for “slow”, but also “springtime”) is a beautiful season offering many spiritual resources to those who commit to the 40 day journey.
Modeled after Jesus’ forty days in the desert, Lent is a time to become more open to God through the vulnerabilities of life. Especially this year, we already feel small and vulnerable. The questions of ancient Israel resound in our hearts: can God really spread a table before us in the presence of global and personal fears and sorrow?
Lent 2021 comes with an especially poignant invitation to bring that doubt, fear, sorrow, loneliness and dryness and join with others wanting to taste God’s promised provision in the deserts of life. He spreads a table before us in the face of all our greatest fears…Ps.23
At Fleetwood CRC, we’re providing a number of ways for you to take that journey of trust and provision this Lent:
- Wednesday evening prayer reflecting on Psalms of Provision – live streamed at 7pm
- Weekly Devotional Guide to Psalms of Provision - via a physical bookmark and the blog, individual guide and family child-friendly guide (stop by the church during office hours to pick up a bookmark)
- Weekly Sunday Communion Table online worship at 10 am with an emphasis on the surprising, concrete ways God has provided in the past for his desert people: water, manna, quail, wine, fish, and yes, angel food cake.
- Weekly zoom-usable materials for small groups – available here each Saturday
- Outdoor Prayer Path that will grow in length as Easter approaches - we invite you to come walk the stations of the cross every week as a new station is added each Wednesday. The path will start on the front lawn of the church and move around the building. Resources will be available on a table at the front entrance of the church or online.